Frequently Asked Questions About Canadian Immigration


Categories: Canadian Immigration , Canadian Immigration Firm , Immigrant Services

Do you hope to immigrate for work or study? You may have several questions and doubts regarding possible programs and the process. These may pertain to the costs involved or other misconceptions related to working in Canada.

To clear your confusion and arm you with the information you need to make the right decisions, Adventus Canada Immigration professionals in Canadian Immigration law, have answered some of the most frequently asked questions about work permits, study permits and permanent residency and making the moving work for you. These answers are based on our personal experience, so you have first-hand information to ensure your Canadian immigration success.

1. How do I get a work permit?

If you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, you may need a work permit to work in Canada. There are several types of work permits, including employer-specific work permits, open work permits, and international experience Canada (IEC) work permits. To apply for a work permit, you must first have a job offer from a Canadian employer. Your employer must obtain a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) to show that there are no Canadians or permanent residents available to do the job. There are LMIA exempt jobs that are possible, but these are not typically available to the public and are available through special programs only. Without an LMIA, it is virtually impossible to get a work permit.

2. How do I know if I am getting scammed with this job offer?

Unfortunately, there are many fraudulent job offers circulating online. It is essential to do your research and be cautious when receiving job offers. Some signs of a scam include job offers that seem too good to be true, job offers that require you to pay money upfront, or job offers that ask for personal information such as your social insurance number or passport information. If you are unsure whether a job offer is legitimate, you can contact the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre or speak to a licensed immigration consultant.

3. Why should I use a professional to make my application? Can I do it myself?

While it is possible to apply for Canadian immigration on your own, using a professional can help ensure that your application is completed correctly and that you have the best chance of success. Licensed immigration consultants have the knowledge and expertise to guide you through the application process and help you avoid common mistakes that could result in your application being rejected. Additionally, using a professional can save you time and reduce your stress levels.

4. How do I find a licensed consultant?

To find a licensed immigration consultant, you can visit the website of The College of Immigration and Citizenship Consultants. The CICC is the national regulatory body that oversees licensed immigration consultants in Canada. You can search their directory to find a consultant in your area. Not all licensed consultants are the same; however, only about 20 percent of licensed immigration consultants have more than three years of experience, so it is important to choose wisely and ensure the person you have chosen has the skill and expertise to deal with your application. Usually, the more experienced consultants will charge more, but you can ask yourself how important it is to have your application done correctly. 

5. How much money do I need for Canadian immigration?

The amount of money you need for Canadian immigration depends on several factors, including your family size, the type of application you are submitting, and the province you plan to live in. For example, if you are applying for permanent residency through the Express Entry system, you will need to show that you have enough funds to support yourself and your family members for at least six months. The current minimum amount required for a family of four is almost $30,000.

6. Can you help me find a job?

Adventus Canada Immigration does not assist you with finding a job in Canada. Rather we work with Canadian employers to match them with qualified international candidates. However, our team can help you prepare your resume, prepare for interviews, and teach you how to navigate the Canadian job market. For a Canadian to find work its usually on average 6 months and a lot of resumes later. Therefore if you are trying to find work from overseas, do not be surprised if you have to send out hundreds and hundreds of resumes just to get a response. Be positive and keep trying. Employers do hire foreign nationals all the time.

7. Can I get a PGWP (post-graduation work permit) for my studies?

If you have completed a program of study at a designated learning institution in Canada, you may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP). The PGWP allows you to work in Canada for up to three years after you graduate. To be eligible, you must have completed a program of study that was at least eight months long and have a valid study permit when you apply.

8. How do I apply for permanent residency?

There are several ways to apply for permanent residency in Canada, including through the Express Entry system, provincial nominee programs, and family sponsorship. The eligibility requirements and application process vary depending on the program you are applying for. It is crucial to consult with a licensed immigration consultant or lawyer to determine which program is right for you and ensure you submit a complete and accurate application. Keep in mind there are over 80 programs for immigration to Canada, and you may qualify for one of these options. 

If you have any more questions about Canadian immigration, get in touch with the experts at Adventus Canada Immigration. We work with people from around the world to successfully immigrate and integrate into Canadian society. We are licensed and regulated immigration consultants that are regulated by the College of Citizenship and Immigration Canada – CICC.

Get in touch with us today!

To learn more about the services we offer, please click here. For more information, please call us at +1 (403) 699-9688 or email us at