In some cases, you do not require a Study Permit to go to school in Canada. If you wish to study in a short-term course or program you will not need a Study Permit. If the course or program in Canada lasts six months or less you are allowed to enter on a TRV and undertake your studies during the time frame you are here. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada. If you decide that you want to continue your studies in another program after you complete your short-term course or program, you must apply through a Canadian visa office outside Canada for a Study Permit.

Foreign representatives to Canada If you are a family or staff member of a foreign representative (diplomat) to Canada accredited by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, you may not need a permit to study in Canada. You should contact your embassy in Canada. Your embassy can contact the Office of Protocol at Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada to find out whether you need a Study Permit to study. Members of foreign armed forces If you are a member of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act, you also do not need a permit to study in Canada. However, if your family members, including minor children, want to study in Canada, they must meet the requirements.