Immigrate To Canada : Family Class

Canadian Immigration and Citizenship Consultants (CICC)

Moving Family

Immigrate To Canada : Family Class

Canadians citizens and permanent residents living in Canada, 18 years of age or older, may sponsor close family members who want to immigrate to Canada. You can sponsor a relative or family member abroad if he/she is:

  • Your spouse, common-law/same-sex partner or conjugal partner
  • Your dependent children, including adopted children
  • Your grandparents
  • Other family members (i.e. last remaining family member under humanitarian and compassionate grounds where it is warranted)

Foreign nationals may be selected as members of the Family Class on the basis of their relationship to a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident. Canadian citizens (including, in certain circumstances, those residing abroad with the intention to return to Canada to reside) and permanent residents (restricted to those residing in Canada, only), age eighteen (18) and over, may sponsor the following members of the Family Class (subject to meeting eligibility requirements) for Canada immigration:

  • Their spouse their common-law/same-sex partner
  • Their conjugal partner
  • Their dependent children under age nineteen (19)
  • Their dependent children age nineteen (19) and over (if they are mentally or physically disabled and dependent on their parent(s))
  • Children adopted or to be adopted by them, or under their guardianship
  • Parents grandparents
  • Other prescribed family members (i.e. last remaining family member under humanitarian and compassionate grounds where it is warranted).
Parents And Grandparents

As an alternative to sponsorship of a parent/grandparent, the Government of Canada offers the "Parent and Grandparent Super Visa," which will be valid for up to ten (10) years. The multiple-entry visa will allow an applicant in Canada for up to sixty (60) months, or five (5) years at a time without the need for renewal of their status. Immigration Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) use to be able to issue the visas, on average, within eight (8) weeks of the application however after covid this varies significantly and at the moment it can take upwards of 6 to 8 months for any decision. This means that instead of waiting for eight (8) years, a parent or a grandparent can come to Canada within eight (8) months. Parent and Grandparent Super Visa applicants will be required to obtain private Canadian health-care insurance, which tends to be costly, for their stay in Canada. However, it does allow for family members to be together until they are selected for the PGP sponsorhip program.


Related Links

You can apply for a Work Permit as you enter Canada, but only if you meet the following requirements:

For Business

Welcome To Your New Life Beginning Point !

We are a Canadian based immigration and international recruitment firm located in Calgary Alberta, Canada. We work with people from around the world to successfully immigrate and integrate into Canadian society. We are licensed and regulated immigration consultants that are regulated by the College of Citizenship and Immigration Canada.



How to Qualify for Canadian Permanent Residence – Self-Employed (Business Class)

Immigration Refugee Citizenship Canada (IRCC) selects business immigrants based on their ability to become economically established in Canada. Canada has three categories of business immigration, Investors, Entrepreneurs and Self-Employed. Details on each of these categories are provided on the Canada website. But a summary is provided here for your convenience.

More information on how to qualify for Self-Employed Business Class To qualify as Self-Employed: Applicants must have the ability to create their own employment and contribute to the cultural, artistic or athletic life of Canada, or, to create their own employment by purchasing and managing a farm in Canada.

What's Next?

Find out if you Qualify for Canadian Permanent Residence.


Business class immigration allows self-employed persons that have the intention and ability to create their own employment and make a significant contribution to the cultural, artistic or athletic life of Canada. Self-employed persons with a Canada immigration visa also have the option to purchase and manage a farm in Canada. Only immigrants who have been self-employed in cultural activities or in athletics, or have participated at a world class level in cultural activities or in athletics or have farm management experience are eligible within the class. Other business immigrants with more generic business abilities will be required either to meet the Entrepreneur definitions, to qualify as skilled workers, or to be selected as provincial nominees. To qualify, in this category the applicant must meet the minimum investment amount and make a trip out to the province based on an invitation extended by the provincial government.

Provincial Nominee

Over 100 ways to come to Canada.

There are so many programs available through the ten provinces and three territories of Canada. Each province offers an entrepreneurial program, one that addresses in demand professions in the province, and one where there is an opportunity for different employers can select employees they want to help.

However, Saskatchewan is the only province that does not require applicants to have a job offer.

Each province has different requirements for their programs. The Atlantic provinces have the AIP or Atlantic Immigration Program which has more attractive options. Cities that are within this program are Halifax, Nova Scotia; Moncton and Fredericton, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, and Labrador.

The Entrepreneurial Program is an option where immigrants may not qualify for some of the other programs. Each province has different financial investment requirements which range anywhere from $150,000 to over a million for cities like Vancouver or Toronto.

Not sure if you qualify for some of the provincial programs? You can go onto each provincial website and determine whether you qualify for not. Or, you can work with us and have us tell you what your best options are and go through the process for you. Contact us today.

Rural Northern Immigration Program

The RNIP or the rural northern immigration program is to attract immigrations to the smaller rural communities. Each northern community that is part of this program has a quota where foreign workers can get nominated based on the job they are performing in the community. It is much easier for the foreign national to get permanent residency under this program than under one of the other provincial or federal programs. If you are interested in this program, see if you qualify or can qualify for one of these communities.

To be eligible for the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot Program, you must meet all IRCC eligibility requirements. You must

  • Have work experience (see below) or have graduated from a publicly funded post-secondary institution in the said rural community
  • Meet or exceed the language requirements
  • Meet or exceed education requirements
  • Prove you have the money to support your transition into the community
  • Intend to live in the community
  • Meet community specific requirements

If you meet all of the requirements, you can look for eligible job in the community

  • Work experience
  • Language requirements
  • Educational requirements
  • Settlement funds
  • Intend to live in the community
  • Community-specific requirements
  • Job Offer

1 year of continuous work experience (at least 1,560 hours) in the past 3 years.

NOTE: To calculate your hours of work experience

  • Count the hours worked in part-time and full-time jobs
    • The hours must be in 1 occupation, but they can be with different employers.
    • The hours must be over a period of at least 12 months.
    • These working hours can be inside or outside Canada.
      • If you worked in Canada, you must have been allowed to work in Canada.
  • Don’t count hours you weren’t paid for (volunteering or unpaid internships don’t count)
  • Don’t count hours when you were self-employed

Work experience must include (we can determined this)

  • Most of the main duties and all the essential duties listed in your National Occupational Classification (NOC)
  • The activities listed in the lead statement of your NOC

Applicant is exempt from the work experience if they were an international student who graduated with

  1. A credential from a post-secondary program of 2 years or longer and
    1. were studying as a full-time student for the full duration of the 2+ years
    2. received the credential no more than 18 months before your application for permanent residence
    3. were in the community for at least 16 of the last 24 months spent studying to get their credential
  2. A master’s degree or higher and
    1. were studying as a full-time student for the duration of degree
    2. got degree no more than 18 months before application for permanent residence
    3. were in the community for the length of their studies

You cannot apply as an international student if your credentials are from a program in which

  • Studying English or French made up more than half of the program
  • Distance learning made up more than half of the program
  • A scholarship or fellowship was awarded that requires you to return to your home country to apply what you learned

They must meet the minimum language requirements based on the NOC category that applies to the job offer in the community. This can either be the

  • either French or English

The minimum language requirements for each NOC category are

  • NOC 0 and A: CLB/NCLC 6
  • NOC C and D: CLB/NCLC 4

must have IELTS provided to us from a designated language test. These results must be less than 2 years old when you apply.

They must have

  • a Canadian high school diploma or
  • an ECA report, from a designated organization or professional body, showing that you completed a foreign credential that’s equal to Canadian secondary school (high school)
    • The ECA report must be less than 5 years old on the date of your application.
    • If the ECA report was issued by a designated organization, the original report must have been issued on or after the date the organization was designated.

Same as the federal program.

To participate in the pilot, you must plan to live in the community.

Each community will have additional requirements for applicants.

The pilot will launch in participating communities at different times. Right now Ontario and Manitoba programs are open (sault st marie, thunder bay, Brandon, and Altona

You must have a job offer that is:

  • From an employer that carries on business in the community,
  • Full time and non-seasonal,
  • For an indeterminate period (no end date),
  • At the same skill level, 1 level above or 1 level below the NOC that applies to your work experience.

Note: If your experience is in NOC skill level D, then the job you’re being offered must be in the same occupation.

If regulations are regulated eg.

  • Nurses
  • Engineers
  • Electricians
  • Teachers

You may be asked to:

  • Provide documentation of qualifications
  • Do a language exam (which may differ from those needed for immigration)
  • Complete a technical exam (with accompanying fee)
  • Do supervised work


Before you can apply to immigrate to Canada through the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot, you must first receive a recommendation from the designated Economic Development Organization (EDO) of a participating community. You need to apply directly to the EDO for a recommendation. Each EDO has its own recommendation application procedures. However, IRCC has the authority to make the final decision on an application for permanent residence using existing selection and admissibility criteria. This includes security, criminal, and medical screening for candidates with a recommendation in one of the participating communities .

Federal Skilled Classes

The federal skilled worker class is for professional workers. Applicants of the FSW program become so based on the qualification. In order to qualify as a FSW, applicants must have 67 points which is calculated by assessing your language skills, your university education, work experience, and your age.

The primary desirable group for applicants to meet the requirements are workers who are between the ages of 25 – 35. To get maximum score for age, you must be between the ages of 18-35. After you reach 35 years of age, your scores start to decline and once you reach 45 where you will get a point or 2, you no longer are classified as a benefit to Canada. The years you are contributing economic to Canada will be less and the cost to Canadians will start to go higher and higher.

Many applicants who apply under the FSW program are individuals who have already married and started raising a family. Most families want to make life better for their children so they start looking at options for raising them in another country. A points grid for this program is provided below.

Federal Skilled Worker Points Grid

In order to qualify for Express Entry, applicants must also still be able to meet the requirements of one of the programs included. For Federal Skilled Workers, this means each candidate must be able to meet the 67 point requirement.

The points are based on six selection criteria. These criteria and point calculations are provided below. If you want to determine whether you can qualify under this category, then go through the points grid and calculate your points.


First official Language: Maximum 24 points

  Listening Reading Writing Speaking
CLB 7 4 4 4 4
CLB 8 5 5 5 5
CLB 9+ 6 6 6 6


Don’t know what these scores mean? Then check out our language chart and IELTS and CELPIPS scores will be translated into Canadian Language Benchmarks for you to interpret.

Second Official Language: Maximum 4 points

  Listening Reading Writing Speaking
CLB 5+ 1 1 1 1
Language Total: 28 Points


  • Age Points
    18-35 years 12 points
    36 years 11 points
    37 years 10 points
    38 years 9 points
    39 years 8 points
    40 years 7 points
    41 years 6 points
  • Age Points
    42 years 5 points
    43 years 4 points
    44 years 3 points
    45 years 2 points
    46 years 1 points
    47 years 0 points
    Age Maximum: 12 Points
Work Experience Points
1 year 9 points
2-3 years 11 points
4-5 years 13 points
6 years and greater 15 points
Work Experience Maximum: 15 Points

Points are awarded for educational credentials that have been assessed by a designated organization such as World Education Services (WES) , indicating their Canadian equivalency.


Highest Level Completed Points
Doctoral Level 25 points
Master's Level or Professional Degree 23 points
Two or more post-secondary credentials, one of which is a three-year or longer post-secondary credential 22 points
Three-year or longer post-secondary credential 21 points
Two-year post-secondary credential 19 points
One-year post-secondary credential 15 points
Secondary School 5 points
Education Maximum: 25 Points

To receive points for arranged employment, applicants need a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from ESDC and permanent job offer. In some cases, applicants may be LMIA exempt and only require the indeterminate job offer.


Arranged Employment Points
Positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) and job offer 10 points
Arranged Employment Maximum: 10 Points

Maximum points you can receive for adaptability is 10 points.


Adaptability Criteria Points
Principal Applicant has previous work experience in Canada (Min 1 year at NOC 0, A or B) 5 points
Principal Applicant has previous study in Canada (full-time study of at least two years duration) 5 points
Accompanying Spouse/Partner has previous study in Canada (full-time study of at least two years duration 5 points
Accompanying Spouse/Partner has previous work experience in Canada (Min 1 year under a valid work permit) 5 points
Arranged Employment 5 points
Relative in Canada 18 years or over* 5 points
Accompanying Spouse/Partner's first official language meets CLB 4 (With valid test results) 5 points
Adaptability Maximum: 10 Points

*Relative is defined as the Principal Applicant's or their Spouse's/Partner's:

1) Father or Mother 2) Grandmother or Grandfather 3) Child 4) Grandchild 5) Brother or Sister 6) Aunt or Uncle 7) Niece or Nephew


English Language Test ( IELTS General or CELPIP - General )




FSW Second Language Points FSW First Language Points CLB/NCLC Listening Reading Writing Speaking Listening Reading Writing Speaking
1 6 9+ 8.0+ 7.0+ 7.0+ 7.0+ 5+ 5+ 5+ 5+
1 5 8 7.5 6.5 6.5 6.5 4H 4H 4H 4H
1 4 7 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0 4L 4L 4L 4L
1 0* 6 5.5 5.0 5.5 5.5 3H 3H 3H 3H
1 0* 5 5.0 4.0 5.0 5.0 3L 3L 3L 3L
0 0* 4 4.5 3.5 4.0 4.0 2H 2H 2H 2H
0 0* 3 4.0- 3.0- 3.5- 3.5- 2L- 2L- 2L- 2L-

*Minimum score of 6.0 bands required in each band for first language in order to qualify for FSWP

French Language Test (TEF)

FSW Second Language Points FSW First Language Points CLB/NCLC Listening (Compréhensionorale) Reading (Compréhensionécrite) Writing (Expression écrite) Speaking (Expression orale)
1 6 9+ 298+ 248+ 372+


1 5 8 280-297 233-247 349-371 349-371
1 4 7 248 206 309 309
1 0* 6 217 181 271 271
1 0* 5 180 150 225 225
0 0* 4 145 121 181 181

*Minimum 6.0 bands required in each module for first language in order to qualify for FSWP

Federal Skilled Trades

Federal skilled trades include tradespeople who work in various industries. Anyone who fits in this category would include those who went to vocational school or a technical institute and received a diploma was educated in a trade that required an apprenticeship. Some examples of a skilled trade include:

  • Bricklayers
  • Tile setters
  • Concrete workers
  • Cooks
  • Plumbers
  • Electricians
  • Painters
  • Supervisors in Food Service
  • Mechanics

These are classified as NOC B (national classification codes) positions. Trades are classified as compulsory or optional trades. Depending on where workers decide to get employment different provinces’ compulsory trades differ. If it is a compulsory trade, workers must get a letter of qualification from the province in order to be allowed to work in that trade.

Trades are in high demand since the government of Canada has focused on bringing in educated professionals into Canada. This has resulted in more opportunities for those who work in the trades while in Canada more parents are sending their children into university.

In many countries trades are taught in skill and by family members as a necessary skill. These skills are in high demand in Canada and the training learned through family members and high school can be assessed by apprenticeship groups across Canada. Get yourself assessed and come in to Canada to work.

Experience Skill

  • Canadian Experience Class
  • Express Entry

The Canadian Experience Class are those foreign nationals who have had the opportunity to come to Canada and work for at least one year. This experience allows workers to apply for the Canadian Experience Class category. People who are selected through this program are not bound by any selection criteria other than the work experience they have in Canada. Although language is required and some education, these are not as major as the one year work experience.

Express Entry is a file management system where all of the above 3 programs are considered on this system. Applicants are entered into a pool of workers – some from skilled workers, skilled trades and Canadian experienced class.

Applicants must qualify under their category and then once in the Express Entry management system, they are placed in a pool of applicants who have all qualified. These applicants are allocated points for different factors and the ones who have the highest points are selected. There are lots of applicants in the pool and in 2022, thousands of applicants remain in the pool due to the recent covid pandemic. Over 1.5 million applications are backlogged in the system which will take awhile to get through yet. It could potentially take a few years to process. Unfortunately, that means those who are in the pool may languish in there for a while.