Temporary Visas : Study Permits

Canadian Immigration and Citizenship Consultants

Before you can apply for a Study Permit, you must have been accepted at a recognized school, university or college in Canada. To be eligible to study in Canada you must have been accepted by a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada. You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your: tuition fees; living expenses for yourself and any family members who comes with you to Canada; and return transportation for yourself and any family members who have come with you.

You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security and safety of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate. You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary. You also have to satisfy a visa officer that you will leave Canada when you have completed your studies.

  • Exceptions:

In some cases, you do not require a Study Permit to go to school in Canada. If you wish to study in a short-term course or program you will not need a Study Permit. If the course or program in Canada lasts six months or less you are allowed to enter on a TRV and undertake your studies during the time frame you are here. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada. If you decide that you want to continue your studies in another program after you complete your short-term course or program, you must apply through a Canadian visa office outside Canada for a Study Permit.

Foreign representatives to Canada If you are a family or staff member of a foreign representative (diplomat) to Canada accredited by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, you may not need a permit to study in Canada. You should contact your embassy in Canada. Your embassy can contact the Office of Protocol at Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada to find out whether you need a Study Permit to study. Members of foreign armed forces If you are a member of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act, you also do not need a permit to study in Canada. However, if your family members, including minor children, want to study in Canada, they must meet the requirements.


  • Before You Apply

  • After You Apply

Our website contains information on living in Canada, jobs in Canada and the Canadian immigration application process. We also offer a free, online, Canada immigration eligibility form to help you determine if you are a candidate for immigrating to Canada.

This Canada immigration eligibility form has no official status and there are no obligations; it simply allows us to determine whether you are eligible to immigrate to Canada or not. Take the time to review this information and to learn more; but, if this information does not provide you with the answers you require, we will be pleased to answer questions related to your Canada immigration eligibility form or to clarify any issues relating to completing the form.

Take the time to e-mail us at info@adventuscanada.com or take advantage of the Blogging section where you can post questions and have people who may have gone through the process help. You will be asked to provide information about your previous education and employment history, up to and including the past 10 years. You will also be asked information about family members or dependents, those immigrating to Canada with you and those who are not. You may qualify to immigrate to Canada within one of any of the numerous Canadian immigration programs. Currently this encompasses over 80 possibilities including the provincial nominee programs, Express Entry, sponsorship, student permits, work permits, and entrepreneurial opportunities.

You can also book a consultation with us and we will spend an hour discussing your options with you after we learn about your background. Consultations are useful for you if you wish to apply on your own or if you want us to do so on your behalf. Go to our booking page and schedule a meeting with us.

Once you have successfully completed an assessment, and become a client, we will represent you and work towards preparing a successful application for you. Adventus Canada Immigration cannot and does not guarantee the results of the application but we will try to do our best for each and every client. We have been operating for over 10 years and have represented hundreds of applicants from around the world to successfully achieve their goal of becoming a Canadian Citizen.

When you do apply, there will be an Acknowledgement of Receipt Letter, which will include your File Number meaning it has been received by IRCC. Depending on the program that your application was submitted under, processing times will vary. However, since Covid affected the world, IRCC has over 2 million applications waiting for processing. However, once your Canada Immigration Application has been acknowledged by the visa office, it is placed in queue for assessment. Visa offices differ in the amount of time they take to provide an initial assessment, and different application types are processed within different time frames. Once our office has filed your Canada immigration application, you will be asked to keep our office informed of any updates, changes and developments with regards to anything that changes in your life.

Please note that not all of the points listed below may apply to you but we would like to remind you that:

If we have nothing new to tell you, you will not hear from us. However, we will be notifying you of updates we receive from IRCC with regards to your file via email.

Make sure to notify us if you change your email address. You must keep us informed of:

  • Changes in your family composition,
  • Changes to your marital status
  • Parenthood occurs,
  • Experience a death in your immediate family,
  • Change of address, job, gender or anything change of any nature

you must notify our office so that we can update the visa office with this information and instruct you as to what course of action we will take on your behalf; You must also notify our office if your legal status changes in any way. For example, if you filed your Canada Immigration Application while under a Work Permit, and then switch to a Study Permit, if your visa expires, or if you acquire a new visa from a different country, etc. you must also notify us of details such as a change of name. Keep our office informed of any changes, as this will aid us to keep track of elements pertinent to your file. Failure to update the visa office with the types of changes in information enumerated above could be detrimental to your Canada Immigration application.

All applicants for immigration to Canada are required to have medical examinations. The purpose of the medical exam is to determine whether the potential immigrant has any health conditions that are likely to be a danger to public health or safety, or that could be very demanding on Canada‘s healthcare or social services.

Once your Canada immigration application has been fully processed and finalized, the Canadian visa officers will request that you and your dependents provide your passports for the purpose of having your Canada Permanent Resident visas issued. At this time, you will need to send your original passports directly to the Canadian Consulate General/Canadian High Commission/Canadian Embassy that is handling your application. The visas will then be physically inserted into your passports and will be returned to you. Typically, the visa officers will allow for the passports to be returned via a shipping method which enables one to track the shipment. The issuance of your visas and return of your passports is typically performed within two to three weeks of your submission of the passports to the visa post.

The expiration date of your permanent resident visa or COPR (confirmation of permanent residency) will be one year from the date that you complete/completed your medical examination. You will need to land in Canada (i.e. physically enter Canada) by that date or your visa will be considered expired and you will lose your Permanent Residency status.

Since Covid, however eCOPRs are being issued and interviews are not taking place, the E-COPR is sent to you via email.

  • For Students Choosing A Canadian Education!
  • Other Universities:

Many people choose to move here because of the quality of Canada’s education system, whether Primary, Secondary/High School or University. Canada has some of the best education standards in the world, which makes it a very attractive option for both families wishing to relocate with their children and individuals looking to complete their studies overseas. Canadian tuition fees are often half or even only 25 percent of those of other international universities. All universities do have international quotas so it is important to make sure you apply early as soon as program open for admission.

Of note is that there are hundreds of colleges, universities and institutes where education can be pursued. However, the quality, the type of education, the diplomas or certificates vary significantly. Each educational institute is classified as a designated learning institute (DLI) or a private college. Check on the Government web site to ensure that the program and the school you are attending allows for post grad work permits (PGWP) after graduation. The majority of the private colleges do NOT allow for work permits whereas all universities under the DLI allow for a PGWP.

There are numerous unscrupulous education agents where so many international students will work with to get access to an educational program in Canada. However the majority of these agents are only interested in the commissions they receive from the various schools. As a result, the programs and schools they register student in are not in the best interest of the study but rather only in the interest of their pocketbooks.

Education agents are abundant around the world but the largest number are in Asia. International Students pay significant funds to get a good education and allows them to have the potential of getting permanent residency in Canada. It is best to work with an RCIC who is concerned about your best interest and is there to help you with your goal of being able to remain in Canada. Please contact us for the support you need to decide what school to attend.

Of the hundreds of schools in Canada, there are of course ones that are recognized for their exceptional programs. Some of these institutions include:

  • University of Toronto
  • University of Waterloo
  • University of Western Ontario
  • Queens University
  • York University
  • Ryerson University
  • Carlton University
  • University of Ottawa
  • The University of British Columbia
  • Emily Carr
  • Simon Fraser University
  • McGill University
  • Concordia University
  • University of Montreal
Nova Scotia
  • Dalhousie University
  • University of Alberta
  • NAIT
  • University of Calgary
  • Mount Royal University
  • SAIT
  • University of Victoria
  • University of Saskatchewan

We also work with 100’s of other Universities and Colleges throughout Canada