Before you can apply for a Study Permit, you must have been accepted at a recognized school, university or college in Canada. To be eligible to study in Canada you must have been accepted by a school, college, university or other educational institution in Canada. You must prove that you have enough money to pay for your: tuition fees; living expenses for yourself and any family members who comes with you to Canada; and return transportation for yourself and any family members who have come with you.

You must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and not be a risk to the security and safety of Canada. You may have to provide a police certificate. You must be in good health and willing to complete a medical examination, if necessary. You also have to satisfy a visa officer that you will leave Canada when you have completed your studies.

  • Exceptions:
  • Designated Learning Institutions

In some cases, you do not require a Study Permit to go to school in Canada. If you wish to study in a short-term course or program you will not need a Study Permit. If the course or program in Canada lasts six months or less you are allowed to enter on a TRV and undertake your studies during the time frame you are here. You must complete the course or program within the period authorized for your stay in Canada. If you decide that you want to continue your studies in another program after you complete your short-term course or program, you must apply through a Canadian visa office outside Canada for a Study Permit.

Foreign representatives to Canada If you are a family or staff member of a foreign representative (diplomat) to Canada accredited by Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, you may not need a permit to study in Canada. You should contact your embassy in Canada. Your embassy can contact the Office of Protocol at Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada to find out whether you need a Study Permit to study. Members of foreign armed forces If you are a member of a foreign armed force under the Visiting Forces Act, you also do not need a permit to study in Canada. However, if your family members, including minor children, want to study in Canada, they must meet the requirements.

To qualify for a post grad work permit (PGWP) students need to be registered in a DLI which is determined by the Government of Canada. Some DLI’s do not allow for students graduating to get a PGWP after their certificate or diploma however most do so ensure you know before you register. Ensure that the program you are taking provides this capability if your goal is to secure work experience after your education. Note: The best option for allowing for permanent residency is to take a two year program which will allow you to secure a three year PGWP. 

If you are unsure of what to do, then contact us today and we can take you through the process step by step to make sure you are making the best decision for your future. Although Canadian education is relatively inexpensive compared to other countries, it still is relatively costly and funds are needed to pay for your first year tuition and your living expenses in order to qualify. Contact us for more details.