Immigrate to Canada

A Work Permit is needed for most temporary jobs in Canada, though for some positions it may not be necessary. Various programs are available that allow some workers to enter for short periods based on territorial agreements that help determine if you are eligible or not.

Most temporary foreign workers will require an employer based LMIA (labour market impact assessment) in order to apply for a work permit. Any job in Canada must be given to a Canadian who holds the qualifications, experience and credentials if they qualify for the position being advertised. Canada always supports its own citizens before looking at the foreign market. However in a lot of cases, employers cannot find the right workers they need to fill the role they have so they must go through an LMIA which is issued by Economic and Social Development Canada (ESDC). After following very strict protocol to determine that no Canadian is available, the labour market impact assessment (LMIA) confirms that the employer can fill the job with a foreign worker.

To work in Canada, you must meet the general requirements for entering the country and staying to work here, in addition to the requirements for applying and receiving a Work Permit. Many countries’ citizens require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada. For those that do not need a TRV they will require an ETA or an Electronic Travel Authorization to enter. The only exception is the USA where Canadians only require a passport to enter and vice versa.

A Work Permit, however is not an immigration document. It does not allow you to live in Canada permanently. To live here permanently, you must qualify under one of the numerous permanent immigration program categories, such as skilled worker, skilled trade, or one of the provincial nominee programs just to name a few. Caregivers who have come under an LMIA prior to November 2019 or who qualified under the pilot programs for Home Support Workers or Childcare workers can stay in Canada permanently if they meet certain requirements. If you want your spouse or common-law partner and your dependent children to come with you to Canada, they must apply to do so.

Read More Read Less
  • Eligibility To Apply From Outside Canada
  • You Must Also Do The Following
  • Eligibility To Apply As You Enter Canada

To apply for a Work Permit from outside Canada, you must submit the following documents: a job offer letter or contract from a Canadian employer a completed application, that shows that you meet the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, and Employment, Social Development Canada (ESDC) and Service Canada that the employer can hire a foreign worker to fill the job. This confirmation is called a positive labour market impact assessment (LMIA)

There are several factors that will help satisfy a visa officer to provide a positive decision on your work permit. They will want to be assured that as a temporary worker on a temporary work permit you will:

  • Leave Canada at the end of your Work Permit.
  • You have enough money to support yourself and your family while you are in Canada.
  • Respect the law and have no criminal record - you may have to provide a police clearance certificate.
  • Show that you are not a risk to the security of Canada, and
  • Be in good health - you may have to have a medical examination.

Seems easy enough but that is why we are here to help you get it right and apply professionally.

You can apply also for a Work Permit as you enter Canada, but only if you meet the following requirements:

  • You don’t need a visa to enter Canada
  • You do not need a medical examination (or you already have a medical certificate).
  • Your job does not need a labour market impact assessment (LMIA) from Employment, Social Development Canada (ESDC) or
  • You have brought the positive labour market impact assessment and job offer with you.